The new year can be the best time to start a new career. Hiring managers usually have brand-new budgets they can use to onboard new talent, and many companies are keen to achieve new efficiency and productivity goals for the year ahead.
If the thought of going back to your old career is leaving you with New Year blues, embracing a new career in HGV driving could be the perfect solution. Now more than ever, the HGV landscape is thriving, with countless brand searching for talent to fill an expanding skills gap.
Here are some of the reasons you might want to consider changing your career for the new year, and why you should think about transitioning to the HGV industry.
Signs You Need a Career Change
The new year is a time for resolutions, retrospection, and change. After a couple of days with the family, you’re likely to feel a little apprehensive about going back to work. However, there’s a big difference between the Monday blues, and just not being happy in your job.
In today’s ultra-flexible working environment, there’s no need to stay in a career that makes you miserable. Employees have more opportunities open to them than ever before. Sticking to a job just because you’re used to it could mean you’re missing out the life you’ve always wanted. Here are some signs it might be time for a career change:
- You’re bored at work: When you’re constantly doing the same work every day, it’s easy to feel like you’re in a rut. Boring jobs can drag you down over time, making it harder to find the motivation you need to get through the day. With a HGV driving career, every day is different, so you’re less likely to feel bored.
- There are no new opportunities: A job should be filled with opportunities to learn and grow. If you’re no longer gaining new skills and workplace experience, you might need a change. Earning your HGV license could be the perfect way to get back on the learning track and on the path to a new future.
- Wages are dropping: If you feel like you’re not getting paid enough for the work you do, this is one of the most common reasons why you might want to seek out another job. While it can be hard to find a good wage in a lot of roles, this isn’t the case for HGV drivers. In fact, the wages for HGV certified drivers are going up at an incredible pace, thanks to the overall skill shortages in the market.
- You’re being overworked: If you’re current job is working you too hard and you think you’re about to burn out, it might be time to look for a career that gives you a little more respect and flexibility. A good career should take your needs into account, which includes giving you breaks when you need it.
- You don’t get along with your boss: It’s hard to thrive in a work environment when you’re surrounded by people you don’t mesh with all day. A new career as an HGV driver will introduce you to a brand-new team. What’s more, if you’re the kind of person who prefers to work solo, you’ll have plenty of time to yourself behind the wheel.
Is an HGV Career the Right Option?
If you decide a new career is on the cards, the next step is figuring out whether an HGV driver job is right for you. The great thing about a career as an HGV driver, is it allows you to turn your working experience almost entirely upside down. You can step outside of the old-fashioned and exhausting 9-to-5 experience and discover something different.
HGV driving gives you access to more than just a new career – it’s a new lifestyle too. You can travel around the country and oversees, seeing amazing things and connecting with new people – all without a boss constantly breathing down your neck.
If the idea of life on the open road appeals to you, with nothing but your destination and your HGV vehicle to worry about, then this could be the perfect time for you to make the switch to the HGV industry. As an HGV driver this year, you can:
- Be part of the solution: The UK is currently facing a massive HGV driver shortage and has been for a few years now. Many current professionals are retiring, and few new young drivers are available to take their place. You’ll never struggle to find work when you have your HGV license, so you can enjoy more security in your role.
- Discover new experiences: Every day is a new adventure as an HGV driver. Even if you’re exploring the same routes on a regular basis, you’re always going to have new people to meet and challenges to overcome. If you get bored of the same routine easily, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
- Make a great income: With skill shortages causing a real problem in the HGV industry, people with the right licensing can generally expect a much higher salary. As you develop your skills and experience, you can even progress towards more complex HGV driving jobs, which could come with additional earning potential.
- Work in a truly flexible landscape: Being a HGV driver isn’t like any other job. You’re constantly on the move, exploring new places and enjoying a sense of freedom you don’t get anywhere else. The diversity and variety of the career causes a lot of HGV professionals to fall in love with their role.
New Year, New You?
If you think you’re ready to start a new career in the HGV landscape this year, the first step is earning your HGV certification. Once you’ve trained to drive those big vehicles, you’ll have your pick of a huge selection of job opportunities. There’s no telling what the future might bring once you take your first steps into the amazing HGV landscape. Contact HGV Training Centre today to start your lessons.