The various parts of the CPC legislation were drafted to ensure that drivers and operators of goods vehicles all adhere to a certain standard. Its three sections have been specifically designed to make sure that new drivers going out onto the roads are as safe as they can be, with a detailed and thorough knowledge of the industry in which they work. Not only does the legislation look after the skills of new drivers, but it also makes sure that more experienced drivers are routinely retrained to keep their skill-set fresh and up to date. This has a positive impact on road safety and working conditions for drivers, makes Operators more accountable and responsible, and gives a broader and more involved edge to what is already a varied and rewarding career track.

There are 3 different Certificates of Professional Competence (CPC) that you can take, read on below to find out which is right for you. This affects anyone driving HGV vehicles for hire and reward (payment).

If you will only be driving for personal use (e.g. Horsebox) and are OVER 21, this legislation does not affect you.

Drivers CPC Initial Qualification

If you are under 21, you need to do the Initial Qualification, whatever you are driving for.

If you passed your car test before Jan 1997 and have ‘Grandfather’ rights for a C1 vehicle, you DON’T need to do this. If you passed your Category C1, C or C+E test before Sept 2009, you DON’T need to do this.

Everyone else MUST do this. If you are required to do the Initial Qualification and you FAIL to do it, you are DRIVING ILLEGALLY and can have your licence revoked / face fines or imprisonment.

Periodic CPC Training

To be completed after the Initial Qualification and is the drivers’ responsibility to ensure it’s done.

Consists of 35 Hours classroom retraining every 5 years (7 hours per year). If you fail to complete your 35 hours at the end of the 5 year period, your licence will become INVALID until the hours are completed.

If you passed your Category C, C1 or C+E test before Sept 2009, you have until Sept 2014 to complete this requirement. All other drivers will have 5 years to complete this from the date of their Module 4 pass.

Operators CPC Training

If you operate a goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in weight you’ll need an Operator’s Licence. To obtain a standard licence you must hold the relevant Certificate of Professional Competence in Road Haulage (CPC) qualification.

A Standard Operator’s Licence is required for hire and reward operations and a Restricted Operator’s Licence for own account.

Read on to find out more about the Operators CPC and let us help you make a complicated subject more easy to understand.

If you require information or advice on something not on this page, please call us FREE on 0808 168 5255 or click here for an instant HGV Training quote.